For centuries, Venice was one of the largest trading centers in the world and raw materials flowed into it from the Near and Far East. The Jewish community in Venice, which took part in the trade, carried stock made up of foreign imports, alongside local raw materials: an abundance of dried fruits, citrus fruits, chestnuts and sweet wine. This recipe for charoset takes advantage of the bounty of their trade.
Ingredients for Charoset
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon Dried Figs chopped
- 2 tablespoons date spread
- 1½ tablespons chestnuts cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoons pine nuts chopped
- ¾ cups apples cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ½ teaspoon grated orange peel
- ¾ teaspoon date honey (silan) or honey
- pinch ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon ground
- ¼ teaspoon ginger ground
- 2 teaspoons wine or grape must
1. Mix all the ingredients with the exception of the wine/must in a gentle mashing, add the must or wine and mix. Transfer to a jar and keep in the refrigerator until serving.