This vegetarian mushroom cholent recipe is very flexible, depending on the size of your crockpot and the vegetables currently in season.
“Before the holidays, I call my mother or grandmother and ask how to prepare this and that – and then change everything.” Click to enter the Weiner family kitchen
Ingredients for Vegetarian Mushroom Cholent
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-7 onions peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 1 leek coarsely chopped
- 1 heads of garlic cloves peeled
- 2.2 lbs (1 kilogram) carrots and/or sweet potato/ potato/ celeriac, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 7 oz (200 grams) tofu diced
- 10-15 oyster mushroom whole, washed
- 2-3 cups black beans or kidney beans, soaked for several hours and drained
- 1 cup mung beans or chickpeas/ barley, soaked for several hours and drained
- 4-6 eggs optional
- handful Salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- cumin to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- 1 teaspoon harissa optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Sauté the chopped onions, leek and garlic cloves until golden and caramelized. Add water to cover and turn off the heat.
2. In a large crockpot, arrange in layers the sautéd onion mixture, chopped vegetables, beans, tofu and eggs (if using). Add water to cover and add seasoning to your taste. Cover and cook over a low heat for at least 8 hours.
Serve with steamed white rice.