In our family they were called yeast bourekas or by their code name: memorial bourekas- because of our late grandfather David, who died in Bulgaria. Grandma Marika would prepare them once a year and it was because of them that everyone would come, from all over the country, to the memorial service that was held in a small synagogue in Jaffa. They were served alongside a glass of arak, black olives and green cucumbers.
Ingredients for Tutmanik - Yeasted Cheese Bourekas
For the dough:
- 2.2 lbs (1 kilogram) flour
- 2 cups (480 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon Dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tablespoon Salt
For the filling:
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) butter softened, for spreading
- 2 cubes Bulgarian cheese crumbled
- 3.5 oz (100 grams) kashkaval cheese grated
- egg beaten, for egg wash
Prepare the dough:
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix flour, water, yeast and sugar for 2 minutes at medium speed until a dough is formed. Add oil and salt and continue kneading for at least another 5 minutes or until the dough becomes flexible and separates from the sides of the bowl. The kneading time is important so that the dough rises nicely!
2. Grease a bowl and transfer the dough, cover and let it rise for an hour and a half at room temperature or 6 hours (overnight) in the refrigerator.
Roll out, fill, and bake:
3. Punch the dough down, divide into 4 equal parts and roll each part on a floured surface into a thin sheet (something like 1/4"-1/5" or 1/2-1 cm). Spread the sheet of dough with butter, sprinkle half a cube of Bulgarian cheese and roll into a tight roll. Cut into rounds about 1.5" (4 cm) thick and place in a greased pan to rise. Fill the whole dough like this.
4. Let rise for at least half an hour or a little more until the plump and in the meantime heat the oven to 355F (180C) degrees.
5. Brush with egg, sprinkle grated kashkaval on top and bake for 30-35 minutes or a little more, until nicely golden. Serve hot.
Got leftovers? Wrap well to prevent drying out and heat before serving. You can also freeze and reheat.