Ingredients for Chicken Soup
- 4-5 Neck turkey
- 6-8 Neck chicken
- 6-8 chicken wings or any other chicken parts you have on hand (preferably gelatin rich)
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 onion cut halfway length-wise (not cut through completely)
- 2 carrots peeled
- 1-2 zucchinis
- 1 parsley root cut halfway length-wise (not cut through completely)
- 1 celery root cut halfway length-wise (not cut through completely)
- about 1/8 white cabbage or cauliflower
- 1/2 heads of garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Chicken soup powder (optional)
1. Soak turkey necks, chicken necks and chicken wings for 10 minutes in cold water. Drain, pour boiling water over the pieces, soak for another 5 minutes and drain again.
2. Line the bottom of a large pot with half a bunch of celery, 1/3 of a bunch of dill, and 1/2 of a bunch of parsley. Next, layer the onions, carrots, zucchini, celery root, parsley root, cabbage or cauliflower and cloves of garlic on top. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and add water to cover.
3. Bring to a boil on high heat, lower the flame, cover the pot and cook for about an hour.
4. Uncover, season with salt, turmeric and soup powder (optional) and continue to cook on low heat for about another hour.
5. About twenty minutes before the end of cooking, add the reserved herbs (dill, parsley and celery). You can also chop some of the celery leaves and add for a stronger flavor.
6. When finished cooking, separate the broth from the vegetables and the meat. Discard any vegetables and meat that you don't like and serve with kreplach (see recipe below) or noodles.