Ingredients for Tanzia
- 2 cups (500 grams) pitted prunes
- 2 cups (500 grams) dried apricots
- 2 cups (350 grams) golden raisins raisins (half of the quantity can be substituted with black raisins)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) neutral-flavored oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 2 cups (400 grams) Sugar
- 1 cup (250 grams) walnuts cut in half
- ¾ cup (150 grams) cut in half
- 1 cinnamon stick
- water as directed
1. Place the prunes, apricots and raisins in a bowl, add boiling water to cover and soak for 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and sauté the onions over a medium flame until they brown, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the sugar and 3 cups of boiling water to the saucepan, stir and bring to a second boil. Add the dried fruits, walnuts, almonds and cinnamon stick. Cover the pot and cook over a low flame for about 20 minutes until the liquid thickens and is somewhat thinner than honey. Stir every few minutes to make sure that nothing sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.
4. The tanzia can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.