In Israel, Syrniki – Eastern European cheese pancakes – can be found more and more in homes all over the country, in light of the increased interest in Russian cuisine in recent years.
Ingredients for Syrniki - Cheese Pancakes
- 500 grams quark cheese (also called tvorog)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2-3 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons raisins soaked for 2 hours in a glass of boiling water and well-drained - optional
- 6-7 drops vanilla extract good quality
- butter for frying - the more, the merrier!
1. Mix all the ingredients except butter in a large bowl until uniform.
2. Melt one tablespoon of butter on a non-stick pan. With wet hands, form large balls from the sirniki. Flatten into thick pancakes 1-2 cm thick and fry for 4 minutes on each side over low heat. Serve hot, cold or lukewarm, dusted with or without confectioners sugar.