An Israeli twist on the traditional and festive latkes featuring sweet potato. Neither savory pancakes nor sweet potatoes are indigenous to Israel, just like a significant part of the country’s residents, but both have became an integral part of the local culinary landscape.
This recipe is an adaptation of the legendary sweet potato pancakes served at the renowned Tel Aviv cafe “Orna and Ella”.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Latkes
For the Pancakes:
- 17.5 oz (500 grams) sweet potato peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/3 cup flour
- pinch Salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- butter for frying
For Serving- Sour Cream Dip:
- 7 oz (200 grams) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chives finely chopped
Preparing the Batter:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potato cubes and cook until softened for about 20 minutes. Drain and cool to room temperature.
2. Place the sweet potato cubes in a large mixing bowl. Add soy sauce and mix with an immersion blender until uniform. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Form small, thin pancakes about 2-2¼ inches in diameter (5-6 cm). Melt butter in a non-stick pan over low heat. Fry latkes for 3 minutes on each side.
4. Mix sour cream with chopped chives. Serve aside the warm latkes.