Ingredients for Savory Pastry
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 4 yufka dough sheets (can be substituted with phyllo dough)
- 1.1 pound (500 grams) spinach
- 12 ounces (350 grams) Tulum cheese (can be substituted for feta cheese)
- 5 ounces (150 grams) butter
- 3.5 ounces (100 grams) kashkaval cheese grated
1. Grease a baking pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. Steam the spinach in a pot without any oil or water until it shrinks in volume. Transfer to a bowl and mix with the Tulum cheese. Season with a little pepper and salt and transfer to a colander to drain.
3. Take 2 of the yufka dough sheets and place them in the baking pan to create the first layers of the pastry, with the edges spread out to the sides. Then place some of the cheese and spinach filling on top of them.
4. Carve 2 circles out of the remaining 2 dough sheets, around 10 inches/ 26 cm in diameter, and use them to cover the filling in the baking pan. Then spread the rest of the filling on top of them. Cover the second layer of the filling with the pieces of dough left over on the margins of the sheets after carving out the circles. Press down lightly.
5. Heat the oven to 350ºF/ 180ºC. In a saucepan, bring the milk, butter and a little salt to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over the pastry. Bake for about 30 minutes until it starts to brown. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the kashkaval cheese on top and continue baking for another 10 minutes until brown all over.
Yufka pastry dough is sold on Amazon and on Walmart’s website and is probably available at other retail establishments as well. Don’t be concerned if there are tears in the dough – that often happens and it’s okay. Simply assemble the pastry by placing a few layers of the dough on top of each other and that will seal it tight.
Recipe courtesy of Hashulchan.