Like many of the Balkan dishes whose creators advocated zero waste and full use of all parts of the vegetables, this stuffed zucchini iteration is stuffed with meat as well as the chopped zucchini cores and skins.
Ingredients for Stuffed Zucchini
For the Filling:
- 12 zucchinis
- 500 grams ground beef
- 2 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ cup dill leaves fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the frying and the sauce:
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup flour
- olive oil
- 1 large onion large dice
- lemon juice from one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1-2 cups chicken stock
Prepare the Zucchini:
1. Peel the zucchinis with an alternating stripe (optional). Keep the peels aside. Cut the zucchinis lengthwise and empty the zucchini with a spoon to the shape of hollow boats.
2. Chop the zucchini cores and peels. Place in a large mixing bowl and add meat, chopped onion, garlic, dill and salt and pepper. Mix will and fill the zucchini boats with the mixture so that a small mound of filling is formed in each half.
Fry the Zucchini:
3. Pour about 1/4" of oil in a frying pan. At the same time, beat eggs in one bowl and in another bowl place flour.
4. Dip the zucchini halves in flour on both sides. Then do the same in the bowl of eggs.
5. Fry the zucchini boats on their bottom side until golden. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Prepare the sauce and cook:
6. Pour a little olive oil into a pot and fry the onion until transparent. Add lemon juice, sugar and half a cup of stock and bring to a gentle boil.
7. Add the zucchini boats with the meat side up. Cover with the remaining chicken stock (it is not necessary to use all the stock) and bring to a gentle boil.
8. Cover and cook on medium heat for 45 minutes.