Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Fish
- 1.65 lbs (750 grams) fish fillet cod, perch or carp, boned and cut into pieces (with or without the skin)
- 1 eggplants peeled and cut into ½-inch/ 1cm slices
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) oil
- 3-4 onions sliced into rings less than ½-inch/ 7mm thick
- 4-5 plum tomatoes (or 3-4 regular tomatoes), cut into slices less than ½-inch/ 7mm thick
- 1/4 green chili peppers seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon Sugar
- 2 lemons juiced
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon ground
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/175ºC and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Brush the eggplant slices with a little oil and season with salt.
3. Roast the eggplant until golden brown, remove from the oven and set aside.
4. In a large skillet, heat half of the remaining oil over a low flame. Sauté the onions for 7 to 10 minutes until transparent. Arrange them on the bottom of the baking pan.
5. Heat the remaining oil and fry the fish pieces just on the skin side until they brown. Transfer to the baking pan and distribute them evenly on top of the onions. Then add the tomatoes, followed by the eggplant and the chili pepper.
6. In a bowl, mix the sugar, lemon juice, tomato paste and allspice and pour the mixture over the fish and vegetables in the baking pan. (If needed, add a little water). Cover with aluminum foil.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the fish is cooked.
Variation: Prepare the dish on the stove – arrange the layers in a wide-bottomed pot, bring to a boil and cook covered for 20 minutes over a medium-low flame.
This recipe is courtesy of Hashulchan.