Ingredients for Russian Fish Salad
- 2 carrots peeled and boiled in boiling water until slightly softened
- 2 beets
- 2 potatoes peeled and cooked in boiling water and salted until completely softened
- 3 hard boiled eggs peeled and boiled in boiling water until completely softened
- 2 herring sliced into boneless filets, and chopped into cubes
- 100 grams mayonnaise
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
1. Coarsely grate carrots, potatoes and beets. Place each ingredient in a separate bowl. Mix onions and diced herring. Arrange at the bottom of a large serving plate. Place the grated potatoes in a layer on top of the diced cured fish so they fully cover it. Spread over 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Place a layer of grated carrots above the mayonnaise. Spread a rich layer of mayonnaise again. Mix the remaining mayonnaise with the grated beets and cover the salad tower on all sides. Grate hard-boiled eggs over the Shuba. Serve cold or lukewarm.
For the vegetarian version: omit the herring slices from the recipe.