Ingredients for Cheese Baklava
For the dough:
- 2.2 pounds (1kg) defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 5 ounces (150 grams) for brushing the dough and a bit more for greasing the dish
- ½ cup (100 grams) Sugar sprinkled between the layers
For the filling:
- 2.2 pounds (1kg) tvorog cheese (can be substituted with farmer's cheese)
- 1¼ cups (200 grams) golden raisins small
- 1 cup (200 grams) Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (20 grams) vanilla sugar
- confectioners' sugar
1. The filling: mix all the ingredients together.
2. Heat the oven to 340F/ 170ºC and grease the dish. Place a stack of 10 phyllo sheets in it. Brush a generous amount of the melted butter between the sheets and also sprinkle a little bit of sugar. Be careful not to press down on the sheets when placing them on top of each other. Gently spread the cheese filling on top and also sprinkle a tablespoon of melted butter. Repeat the process for the remaining phyllo sheets and cover the entire baklava with parchment paper.
3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the phyllo sheets begin to rise and are lightly golden brown. Remove the parchment paper, lower the temperature to 320F/ 160ºC and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown. Cool and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Hashulchan.