Ingredients for Orange Rice
For the rice:
- 3 3/4 cups (900 ml) water boiling
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Persian rice
- 8 saffron threads
For the vegetables:
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 carrot cut into small cubes
- 1 small sweet potato cut into cubes
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 grams) pumpkin cut into small cubes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro seeds ground
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) dark raisins
- 2 orange wedges, cut into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves coarsely chopped
Preparing the rice:
1. In a pot, boil the water, oil and salt and then add the rice and saffron. Stir and bring to a boil again. Lower the flame, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Preparing the vegetables:
2. Heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the onion for 5 minutes until lightly golden. Add the carrot, sweet potato and pumpkin and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until the sweet potato browns. Add ¼ cup water, lower the flame, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften a bit.
3. Add the garlic, seasonings, raisins and oranges, stir and remove from the heat.
4. Transfer the warm rice to a large bowl and separate the grains with a fork. Place the vegetables over the rice and mix gently. Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Hashulchan.