A recipe by Sonia Soriano (nee Klein, Rita’s cousin, Raheli’s mother) for a simple and ingenious comfort food dish. It is prepared from two available and cheap raw materials that are on hand in many homes, and the end result is incredibly delicious. The secret of the dish’s flavor lies in the slow steaming of the cabbage. Some add caraway seeds, but the Klein family prefer without.
Ingredients for Noodles with Cabbage
- half white cabbage
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ground black pepper
- 8.8 oz (250 grams) Egg noodles square
1. Finely chop the cabbage, best done in a food processor (or like the grandmothers on the small holes of a box grater).
2. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave for half an hour, to soften and draw out excess moisture.
3. Transfer the cabbage to a strainer and squeeze well (press the cabbage against the sides of the strainer); a thorough drying decreases the amount of time it takes to cook.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add cabbage and sauté for about 10 minutes over medium heat until the cabbage begins to turn golden. Stir occasionally, so the cabbage doesn't brown. Add sugar and black pepper and continue to mix for about a minute. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. At the same time, cook egg noodles according to the manufacturer's instructions.
6. Add the noodles to the pan with the cabbage, cook for about two minutes, while stirring, until the noodles are coated in the cabbage and serve immediately.