Ingredients for Stuffed Tomatoes
- 10-12 tomatoes beautiful and ripe
- 3 slices white bread ללא הקשה
- 1.1 lbs (½ kilogram) ground beef
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
1. Cut the top third of each tomato almost all the way through but leave it attached at the end as a lid. Empty the contents of the tomatoes with a spoon into a bowl. Finely chop.
2. Dip the slices of bread in water and squeeze. Mix the bread with the meat, season with salt and pepper and mix to a uniform and sticky mixture.
3. Fill each tomato to the brim, lightly pack and close with the top "lid". Arrange the tomatoes stem side down in a wide oven safe pot.
4. Pour the oil and the reserved contents of the tomatoes into the pot. Sprinkle sugar and a little salt over the tomatoes and pour a little more oil on them. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 40 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 390F (200C) degrees. Uncover, transfer the pot to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Raise the oven heat to 480F (250C) in grill/broil mode and roast for a few more minutes until the tomatoes turn brown and most of the liquid is reduced.