Ingredients for Greek Donuts
For the dough:
- 0.9 ounces (25 grams) fresh yeast crumbled
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (60 grams) Sugar
- 2½ cups (600ml) warm water
- 4 cups (560 grams) flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 level teaspoon Salt
- oil for deep frying
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- 1 cup (200 grams) Sugar
- ½ cup (170 grams) honey
- 1 cinnamon stick broken into 3 pieces
- ½ cup (50 grams) walnuts coarsely chopped
Preparing the dough:
1. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in a bowl with the warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes until the mixture ferments. Add the flour, eggs and salt and beat with a hand beater until the dough is sticky, smooth and homogeneous.
2. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel. Allow to rise for about an hour until the dough doubles in size.
Preparing the glaze:
3. In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Heat all the ingredients in a small saucepan, while stirring until the sugar and honey dissolve. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until the glaze is clear and a bit thick. Set aside to cool.
4. In a pot, heat the oil for deep frying over a medium flame. To make each donut, slide a heaping tablespoon of the dough into the oil (the easiest way is to prepare a cup containing a small amount of oil, dip each tablespoon of dough into it, and then use a second tablespoon to slide the dough into the pot). 6 or 7 donuts can be fried at the same time (so the oil remains hot). Fry the donuts for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with towel paper.
5. Transfer the donuts to a serving platter. Pour the glaze over them and then sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top. Serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe is courtesy of Hashulchan.