“At the entrance to Grandma Rachel’s house in Ramat Gan, there was always a box full of leeks waiting before Passover,” recalls Karni Tomer. “It was a whole ritual, after Grandma cleaned them well, she would go to the neighbor’s house to grind them in his sophisticated meat grinder.”
Ingredients for Passover Leek Fritters
- 5 leeks white part only, halved lengthwise and Bring a large pot of water to a boil.cleaned well
- water as needed
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons matzo meal
- ground black pepper
- oil for frying
- lemon juice
- yoghurt optional
Prepare the Fritters:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cleaned leeks. Cook for about 30 minutes, until softened. Drain the leeks and cool.
2. Chop or grind in a food processor and transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the eggs and matzo meal. Season with salt and black pepper and mix well to a uniform and moist (but not wet) mixture.
Fry and Serve:
4. Heat oil in a wide pan. Form round, flattened fritters between your hands and fry on both sides until golden. Remove from the pan and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
5. Serve with lemon juice and yogurt (optional).
During the rest of the year, substitute the matzo meal with bread crumbs.