Ingredients for Tripolitanian Chraime
- 2.2lbs (1 kilogram) grouper (with the bones and head) thickly sliced into 4 portions
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste heaping
- 1 heads of garlic Peeled and crushed, and a few whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- ½ tablespoon hot paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon caraway ground
- 1 lemon juiced
1. Mix all the ingredients, except the fish, the caraway and the lemon juice, into a cold paste in a flat pot. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking for another 7 minutes.
2. Place the fish in the pot and cook for another 20 minutes on low heat.
3. Add the caraway to the pot and stir. Squeeze in the lemon juice and leave on the gas for another 3 minutes.
4. For a spicier version: add two hot peppers, green or red, to the stew, without cutting them or removing the seeds.
This recipe is courtesy of “Haschulchan” website.