Assembling the buns is simple: gather the circle of dough into a bundle above the filling, pinch and place with the seam facing down. Aharoni recommends stretching the dough a little while folding, so that the bottom of the roll is not too thick
Ingredients for Pumpkin and Lamb Fat Rolls
For the dough:
- 5 cups (700 grams) flour
- Around ½ ounce (15 grams) fresh yeast
- 2 tablespoons (25 grams) Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1½ cups (360 ml) water
For the filling:
- 2 large onion chopped
- pinch Salt
- ground black pepper generous amount
- 26 ounces (750 grams) pumpkin cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3½ ounces (100 grams) lamb fat cut into cubes (or 4 tablespoons olive oil)
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a little water
- coarse salt
Prepare the Dough:
1. Place all the dough ingredients apart from the water in a mixer bowl. Start mixing, add the water gradually and continue mixing until the dough is pliable and easy to work with. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set the dough aside for an hour to rise.
Prepare the Filling:
3. Mix the onions with a tablespoon of salt in a large colander and place it in the sink on top of a deep plate for an hour. Squeeze the onions well to release any liquid, transfer to a bowl and mix them with remaining filling ingredients.
4. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Roll out, Fill and Bake:
5. Knead the dough for another minute. Then divide it into 24 balls around 2" (5cm) in diameter. On a floured work surface, roll out each ball into a thin circle between 4½" -5" (12) cm in diameter. Place a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of each circle. Gather the edges of the dough together to cover the filling and pinch them into a round-shaped roll that is completely sealed on all sides, including where the edges of dough are joined.
6. Place the rolls on the baking sheets, with the pinched side facing down. Allow them to rise for 30 minutes uncovered.
7. Brush the rolls with the egg wash and sprinkle coarse salt on top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until well browned.
This recipe is courtesy of “Hashulchan” website.