If you have additional favas after cooking, you can freeze for later use, just defrost and reheat. You can use frozen and thawed beans or canned- make sure to drain and wash well, then heat and add the rest of the ingredients in the recipe.
Ingredients for Fava Beans in Tahini Sauce
- 1.1 pounds (500 grams) dry Egyptian green fava beans soaked in water overnight, drained and rinsed well
For the sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 tablespoons tahini raw
- 1½ teaspoons cumin ground
- ½ teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- Handful parsley or cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 lemon juiced
- ⅓ cup corn oil or canola
For Serving (optional):
- 10 eggs hard boiled
- handful watercress leaves
- 2 lemons preserved, sliced
- 10 pitas
1. Place the beans in a large, heavy-bottomed pot, fill nearly to the top with water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and continue cooking uncovered for 60 to 90 minutes until the fava beans are soft. Check the water level from time to time – if it doesn't cover the beans, add more water. Drain.
Prepare the Sauce:
2. Place all the sauce ingredients in a bowl, except for the oil, and mix. Add 2 ladles of warm fava beans to the bowl and stir well. Add the oil and stir until the mixture is smooth. Season to taste – the beans should have a strong, but balanced, flavor.
3. Pour the bean mixture onto plates or fill the pitas with it. Serve with hard-boiled eggs, watercress leaves, slices of preserved lemon and a vegetable salad.
This recipe is courtesy of “Hashulchan” website.