No Hungarian household is complete without chicken in paprika sauce, and so it is too with the Kautezky’s. “We eat Csirkepörkölt several times a week,” says Dávid. “I always cook a large amount because we all like it: Lola eats the chicken breast without the sauce, which she actually really likes, Adrienn adds some sour cream on top, like the Hungarians do, and I love the chicken drumsticks. In general, it is so easy to prepare because we always have all the ingredients at home.
“My mother taught me how to cook all the Hungarian dishes,” says Dávid. “I remember standing next to her in the kitchen and watching everything she was doing – and I still call to consult her, but I cook better than her now,” says Dávid with a smile
Ingredients for Csirkepörkölt- Chicken in Paprika Sauce
- 2 tablespoons goose fat
- 4 onions large, peeled and chopped
- water as needed
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 chicken legs with the skin
- 1 chicken breast cut into 1 inch (3 cm) cubes
- 2 chicken wings with the skin
- 1 tomato
- 1 green pepper
1. Heat the goose fat in a deep, wide pot, over medium-high heat and fry the onion until it turns translucent.
2. Add water to the height of a finger (about 4 in/10 cm) and bring to a boil. When the water has all but evaporated - again add water to the height of a finger (about 10 cm), bring to a boil and cook until the water has all but evaporated. Repeat this step one more time.
3. Remove from the heat and add the paprika, salt and black pepper. Mix well and return to the heat.
4. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they start to brown.
5. Add the whole tomato and green pepper, reduce to the lowest heat, cover and cook for about 3 hours, until softened. It is recommended not to add more water.
6. Remove the tomato and green pepper remnants and serve with dumplings, Israeli couscous or noodles. You can also serve with just a few slices of challah, for dipping in the sauce.