Ingredients for Chocolate Cinnamon Babka
For the Dough:
- 2 tablespoons (20 grams) fresh yeast
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (190 ml) water lukewarm
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon (80 grams) Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolks
- 3 cups (420 grams) קמח
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 4.4 oz (125 grams) butter room temperature, cut into small cubes
For the Chocolate Cinnamon filling
- 1.1 lb (500 grams) bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- ½ cup (100 grams) Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3.17 oz (90 grams) butter room temperature, cut into small cubes
For the Streusel:
- 1 ½ cups less one tablespoon (170 grams) confectioners' sugar
- ⅔ cup (90 grams) flour
- 3.17 oz (90 grams) butter cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg
Prepare the Dough:
1. Mix the yeast, water, and a tablespoon of sugar in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Mix the yeast mixture with the remaining sugar, egg and yolk in a mixer with a dough hook for about 3 minutes. Add flour and salt and continue mixing until the flour is absorbed. Add butter gradually, while kneading, in 3-4 batches, wait until the butter is incorporated into the dough before adding more. After the last addition of the butter, mix about another 10 minutes until you get a soft and sticky dough.
3. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for an hour (the resulting dough is very loose compared to other yeasted doughs, which is fine. After resting in the refrigerator, it stabilizes and is easy to work with).
Meanwhile, prepare the filling:
4. Melt dark chocolate, sugar and cinnamon over a hot water bath (Bain Marie) and mix well to a smooth paste. Remove from the stove, add butter and stir until incorporated.
Prepare the Streusel:
5. Place the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands just until you get crumbs. Store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready for use.
6. Heat the oven to 375F degrees (175C) and grease molds.
Assemble and bake:
7. Flour a work surface. Divide the dough in half. Roll out half of the dough into a 25x40 cm rectangle. Spread a generous and even layer of filling and roll into a log. Fold into two equal parts, so that the loaf makes the shape of a horseshoe, and twist together. Place in mold. Repeat with the other piece of dough.
8. Beat the egg with a spoonful of cream or milk, brush the cakes and sprinkle the streusel on top (no need for additional rising).
9. Bake for about 40 minutes until golden.
This recipe courtesy of the “Hashulchan” website.