Devorah’s mother used to chop the liver with a cleaver, that Devorah still has to this day. Those who like a smoother texture (and a less messy mode of preparation) can chop it in a food processor like Devorah. This is her mother’s recipe aside from one brilliant tweak – she fries the hard boiled eggs with the liver, so that they absorb the flavor of the liver and the fried onions.
Ingredients for Chopped Liver
- 1 lb. 1.6 oz. (500 grams) Chicken liver cleaned
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 onion medium, or 4 small onions, chopped
- 5 hard boiled eggs peeled
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the chopped onion and fry on medium-high heat, stirring, about 20-30 minutes until the onion turns golden. Add the livers and fry well on all sides, about 15 minutes. A few minutes after you add the livers, the oil will begin to splatter - at this point, lower the flame to medium and cover the pan (but be sure to stir occasionally, so that the livers are well fried on all sides). Add 4 hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper and continue to fry while stirring, about 5 minutes, until the livers brown and the eggs have a brown coating. Turn off the flame and cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Transfer the contents of the pan to a cutting board and chop with a cleaver. These can also be chopped in a food processor.
3. Transfer the chopped liver to a serving plate, grate the remaining egg on top and garnish with cherry tomato halves and black olives. Serve with challah and finely chopped onion.