The leading principle to any chicken soup is its clarity, achieved through the cooking process: the slower the soup cooks, the clearer it will be. To maintain its clarity, steer clear of starchy vegetables that will cloud the broth (such as potato, pumpkin or zucchini), and bunches of herbs which might do the same (although you can add dill at the end of cooking).
Ingredients for Chicken Soup with Dumplings
- neutral - flavored oil
- 3 onion diced
- 1.1 lbs (500 grams) chicken wings
- 1 whole chicken Organic or 3 organic chicken thighs with drumsticks
- 2 parsley root
- 6 celery stalks
- ground black pepper
- 1 bunch dill (optional)
For the dumplings
- 1¾ cups (245 grams) flour
- pinch Salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons neutral - flavored oil
For the filling:
- 2 onions fine dice
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 egg beaten
Prepare the soup:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and fry the onions. Add wings and chicken to the pot, cover with water and boil. Reduce the heat and skim any dirt or scum on the surface. Cook on low heat for about 40 minutes. Add vegetables to the pot and cook for another hour and a half on very low heat. Remove the chicken from the soup and reserve. At the end of cooking you can add dill.
Prepare the dumplings:
2. Process flour, salt and eggs in a food processor. Add water and oil and continue to process until you get a dough. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes with your hands on a floured surface until it is uniform. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the filling: remove the skin from the chicken cooked in the soup, place it in a pot over low heat and fry in its own fat until it is crispy and brown. Remove from heat and set aside. Remove the wing and chicken meat, chop and set aside.
4. Heat the chicken fat left after frying the skin in a pot and fry the onions in it until golden. Add the garlic, fry for half a minute until fragrant and add the chopped chicken, 1/2 tablespoon of the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, remove from heat, cool, add yolk and mix well.
5. Take the dumpling dough out of the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface into a thin sheet. Cut circles with a glass. Egg wash the perimeter of each circle. Place about 1/2 teaspoon of the filling in the center of each circle, fold the circle in half and gently press outwards to remove the air from the dumpling.
6. Brush beaten egg on one of the corners of the crescent and connect the two edge so that a sort of crown is formed (like a tortellini). Cook the dumplings in a pot of boiled salted water for about 5 minutes until they float. To serve, place the dumplings, vegetables and chopped chicken in the center of each bowl and pour the broth over.
This recipe is courtesy of the “Hashulchan” website.