For the batter:
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (140 grams) flour
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- ⅔ cup (160ml) water seltzer (club soda)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from half a lemon
For the filling:
- 1.1 pounds (500 grams) quark cheese
- 3 heaping tablespoons apricot jam
- ½ cup (70 grams) confectioners' sugar
1. The batter: using a blender or hand beater, mix all the ingredients into a smooth batter.
2. Heat a small nonstick skillet (around 3 inches/ 8cm in diameter) over a medium flame, greased with a teaspoon of butter. Fill about ½ ladle with some batter and pour it into the skillet. Rotate the skillet immediately to distribute the batter evenly. When the surface of the leaf is dry, flip the skillet over a plate. That way the leaf will remain clear and soft. Prepare the rest of the leaves in the same way.
3. The filling: mix all the filling ingredients thoroughly.
4. Place a heaping tablespoon of the filing in the middle of each blintz leaf. Fold both sides of the leaf over the filling and roll it from the bottom edge up, creating a narrow and firmly tucked blintz. Fill and fold the rest of the blintzes in the same way.
5. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
This recipe is courtesy of Hashulchan.