Ingredients for Bread Couscous
- 1 challah leftover from Shabbat
- 1 tablespoon red zhug or harissa
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 saffron threads soaked in ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper ground
1. Slice the challah and dip both sides of each slice in water for one second - be careful not to get too wet. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Crumble the soaked challah slices between the palms of your hands in a circular motion, like when making couscous, until you get crumbs.
3. Boil water in a pot with a couscous steamer.
4. Place the crumbs on the top of the couscous steamer, cover and steam for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the red zhug or harissa, olive oil, saffron (with the soaking water), salt and white pepper.
7. Pour the mixture over the couscous and mix well, preferably with your hands, until the grains are evenly colored.