You can play a little with the recipe and add chopped nuts or make smaller bolos with chocolate chips for children.
The bolos keep well for a long time, so they are ideal for Sukkot.
Ingredients for Bolo
- 1 cup oil
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups Sugar
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¾ cups almonds coarsely chopped
- ½ cup Sesame seeds
- grated orange peel from 3 oranges
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) vanilla sugar (3 packets)
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) baking powder (3 packets)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed (or anise seed)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) flour sifted
1. Heat an oven to 355F (180C) degrees and line a baking sheet (or two - depending on their size) with greased parchment paper.
2. Put all the ingredients except the flour in a wide bowl and mix.
3. Add the flour gradually while mixing and kneading until a uniform and slightly sticky dough is obtained.
4. Oil your palms, divide the dough into the desired number of bolos and form each part into a shape that resembles a uniform loaf of bread. Arrange the loaves on the sheet about 1.5"-2" (4-5 cm) apart and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the bolos are browned. Leave to cool and slice into 2-3 cm thick slices.