Ingredients for Beef Empanadas
For the dough:
- 1.1 lbs (500 grams) flour
- 4.4 oz (125 grams) neutral - flavored oil goose fat or schmaltz
- ¾ cups (170 grams) water scant
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the meat filling:
- 1.1 lbs (500 grams) ground beef
- 2-3 hard boiled eggs grated
- 20 olives green, pitted
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1.7 oz (50 grams) raisins soaked in boiling water for at least two hours and drained - optional
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- pinch chili peppers hot
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
Prepare the Dough:
1. Pour water and oil or fat into a mixer bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and knead until a homogenous dough is obtained. Form a ball from the dough and cover with plastic food wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
2. Sprinkle flour on a working surface. Place the dough and roll as thin as you can. Form as many 4-inch (10 cm) circles as you can from the dough.
Prepare the Filling:
3. Pour olive oil into a large, heavy pan. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and fry until transparent. Add garlic, stir and fry for another minute. Add the meat and spices, mix and lower the heat. Cook for about another 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat. Place the mixture in a large mixing bowl. Allow the mixture to cool off for 5 minutes and add the grated hard-boiled eggs, raisins and olives.
Assemble and Bake:
5. Place one spoon of filling on each circle center. Brush its perimeter with egg and cover one half of the circle with the other. Close tightly by pinching the edges with a fork. Brush the half-circle’s surface with egg. Repeat with the rest of the empanadas.
6. Place the empanadas in a large tray lined with parchment paper and bake in an oven preheated to 355F degrees (180C) for 15 minutes or until golden.