Ingredients for Bean Salad
For the salad:
- 1 cup small white beans soaked overnight in a lot of water
- 1 quart/ 1Liter water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 12 small ripe tomatoes halved
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon
- 1 red onion halved and sliced
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 6 tiny lemons sliced
- 1 hot chili peppers sliced (or any other quantity you prefer)
- 3½ ounces (100 grams) Iraqi buffalo cheese
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
Preparing the beans:
1. Place the beans in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Skim the foam off the top, lower the flame a little and cook uncovered for 1 hour or until the beans are tender. Drain, transfer to a bowl, and pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the beans to keep them moist.
2. Heat the oven to 390F/200ºC and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Preparing the tomatoes:
3. Place the halved tomatoes in the baking pan with the cut side facing up. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil on top and season with the sugar, coarse salt and black pepper.
4. Roast the tomatoes for 15 minutes. Transfer them to a colander for a few minutes to release any excess liquid.
5. Add the tomatoes and remaining salad ingredients to the bowl containing the beans. Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well, pour the dressing over the salad, mix and serve.
Variation: the Iraqi buffalo cheese can be substituted with crumbled feta cheese.
This recipe is courtesy of “HaShulchan” website