There are no legumes in Arisa, only wheat and meat, so it is a little lighter. Despite the lack of legumes, don’t be tempted to shorten the cooking time – the slow cook overnight is an essential element in the complex flavors of this dish.
Ingredients for Arisa - Wheat Chamin
- 1.65 lbs (750 grams) Short Ribs A whole piece cut into cubes
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 onion large and chopped
- 3 tomatoes ripe
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
- 1 cup water
- 8.8 oz (250 grams) wheat washed
- 1 tablespoons Chicken soup powder
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ¼ tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 eggs hard boiled
1. Heat oil in a pot, add onion and fry for 5 minutes until golden. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika and one cup of water, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the pieces of meat to the pot and stir until browned on all sides. Add the wheat and mix well.
3. Add water to the pot until the ingredients are covered. Add the hard-boiled eggs, boil, lower the flame, cover and cook for an hour.
4. Transfer the pot to a hot plate or an oven set to 212F (100C) degrees and cook overnight. Check the stew from time to time - if all the water has been absorbed, add more. The arisa is ready when the meat is soft and falling apart, the wheat is soft and the whole stew is juicy - not too runny but not dry.